Every new year brings new trends in home building, and 2014 is no different. It’s always exciting to watch new buyers customizing their home and making it their own. It’s a deeply personal process. Everyone has those one or two options that for them are absolutely not optional but mandatory.
Here are some home building trends to watch in 2014:
- Energy Efficiency. It’s hard to find a builder who is not working to make new homes that are energy efficient and environmentally friendly. Owners want the peace of mind that their new home is not leaving a large carbon footprint.
- Automatic Everything. It wasn’t that long ago when homeowners would leave and wonder, “Did I turn out the lights?” Today, buyers can install systems that can remotely monitor heating, security and even the lights in the home. Homeowners can adjust all of them right from their cell phones.
- More Power. Tablets, smartphones and laptops all crave electricity. Builders are embracing the prevalence of technology by installing dedicated charging stations throughout homes that feature USB ports.
- Wide Open. I’ve always loved open floor plans, and it looks like the idea is catching on with builders and buyers. Expect to see kitchens, living rooms and dining rooms less secluded than in older homes.
- Getting Personal. Don’t be shocked to walk into a friend’s new home and see an unusual paint color or cabinets made from unique materials. Owners want their homes to reflect their personality, not the personality of the builder.
- Crafty Kitchens. The kitchen might seem to be an odd place to find the cutting edge of technology, but innovative builders are making this room one of the most high-tech in the house. New ovens use internal sensors to ensure the oven is evenly heated to eliminate hot and cold spots. Touch pads on refrigerators allow users to adjust the temperature in different parts of the fridge so food lasts longer.
- Better Bathrooms. The standard toilet, shower and sink bathroom has never been particularly glamorous. New homeowners want a relaxing atmosphere that more closely resembles a spa experience. Builders are complying with spacious garden tubs, luxurious walk-in showers and relaxing lighting.
Did I miss anything? What do you see as some of the new trends in home building? Do you have any predictions for next year? Leave them in the comments.
Until next time,